|This page explains the process of changing an existing Early Access space to become the Production space (i.e. making the "upcoming" version the "current" version, at the time of the GA release).|
Outside the scope of this procedure:
From time to time, a new Early Access space needs to be created - this process is not covered on this page - see Creating a New Early Access Version of the Documentation for details.
Switching the Early Access documentation space to become the Production Space, involves the following steps (to be done in this order):
- Edit the Current Version Home Pages (XAP and XAP.NET)
- Change the Early Access Version Pages (XAP and XAP.NET)
- STEP 2: Edit the Home Page Title and Quick Links
- STEP 3: Edit the Space Details (Change the Breadcrumbs)
- STEP 4: Change the Footer
- STEP 5: Remove all New in X.X.X images from the Early Access version XAP and XAP.NET pages
- Update the Release Note Pages
- STEP 6: Update the GigaSpaces Release Notes page
- STEP 7: Update the GigaSpaces Early Access Program page
- STEP 8: Update the GigaSpaces X.X.X Early Access page
- STEP 9: Update the GigaSpaces X.X.X Release Notes page
- STEP 10: Update the What's New in GigaSpaces X.X.X page
- Other Steps
- STEP 11: Update the Quick Links on the SBP Home Page
- STEP 12: Edit the Choose a GigaSpaces Version page
- STEP 13: Update the Google and Internal Wiki Site Maps
- WIKI UPDATES ON THE DAY OF THE GA RELEASE
|The following steps are all written with the example of switching the 7.1.X Early Access space to be the Production space, instead of the current version 7.0.X., (and a new Early Access version 8.0). The same process applies however, whatever the version number of the new Production space.|
- For each Home page of the current version (e.g. XAP 7.0 and XAP.NET 7.0), click Space>Pages. The List Pages Tree View opens.
- Go to the Internal pages, and open the Footer page, which is under the Navigation page.
- Change the footer to show that this is now an old version of GigaSpaces XAP. The exact text that you should enter in the footer is shown as follows:
Note that the link to the latest product version will be wrong until the default space page is changed.
- For each space of the Early Access version (there are currently two spaces, one for Java and one for .NET), go to the Home page (e.g. XAP 7.1 and XAP.NET 7.1), and click Edit.
- Remove the words Early Access from the page title, which is found in the first h1. heading e.g. h1. XAP 7.1 Early Access Documentation becomes h1. XAP 7.1 Documentation and h1. XAP.NET 7.1 Early Access Documentation becomes h1. XAP.NET 7.1 Documentation .
- Delete the Early Access Program and Milestones Quick Links - e.g. delete h5. • [Early Access Program|RN:GigaSpaces Early Access Program] and h5. • [7.1.X Milestones|RN:GigaSpaces 7.1.X Early Access].
- For each space, under Space, click Space Admin.
- Click Edit Space Details.
- Remove the words Early Access from the first box on the page, which is the space Name e.g. XAP 7.1 Early Access Documentation becomes XAP 7.1 Documentation and XAP.NET 7.1 Early Access Documentation becomes XAP.NET 7.1 Documentation.
- For each space/Home page of the Early Access version e.g. XAP 7.1 and XAP.NET 7.1, click Space>Pages. The List Pages Tree View opens.
- Go to the Internal pages, and open the Footer page, which is under the Navigation page.
- Change the footer to show that this is now the current version of GigaSpaces XAP. The exact text that you should enter in the footer is shown as follows (using the example of XAP 7.1 becoming the Production version):
- Search for the image name in the left hand Search box. Generally, searching for newin shows all the pages where there is an orange New in X.X.X star or banner. However, you may need to search for newinX, NewInX, and NewinX !! e.g. newin7, so that pages with the string newin e.g. newinstance dont show up. You should also search for newX, NewX e.g. new7, New7 since some images are labelled this way.
- Go to each page that shows up in the search, and edit the page to remove the star or banner.
- Look also at the text near the star or banner - e.g. if it says New in 7.1.1 is the ability to..., this also needs to be deleted.
- Go to http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/RN/GigaSpaces+Release+Notes
- There is a list of product versions on this page. Remove the words Early Access from the Early Access version title e.g. GigaSpaces 7.1.X (Early Access) becomes GigaSpaces 7.1.X.
- Go to http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/RN/GigaSpaces+Early+Access+Program.
- Update the version number in the second blue info box e.g.
The latest early access version is XAP 7.1.X.
The next early access version is XAP 8.0, which will be made available in the coming weeks.
- Go to the existing Early Access page of the version you want to switch to Production status e.g. http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/RN/GigaSpaces+7.1.X+Early+Access.
- Change the first note to show that this page now only relates to previous milestones of the new GA version. e.g.
This page relates to the Early Access release of GigaSpaces 7.1.X only. A new Early Access version will be available soon.
This page relates to previous 7.1.X milestones only. If you are interested in GigaSpaces 7.1.X GA, see the Release Notes or Download. A new Early Access version will be available soon. The download link to the latest product version will be wrong until the developers change the download links to the new Production version.
- Add RC2 to the first heading e.g. h1. GigaSpaces XAP 7.1.X becomes h1. GigaSpaces XAP 7.1.X RC2.
- Change the text under the first heading:
GigaSpaces XAP 7.1.X is an Early Access release. becomes GigaSpaces XAP 7.1.X RC2 is a milestone release of version 7.1.X of GigaSpaces' product line.
- Remove the second sentence under the first heading, which starts with With this Early Access version, you'll get a taste of what's coming.....
- Go to the existing Release Notes page of the Early Access version you want to switch to Production status e.g. http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/RN/GigaSpaces+7.1.X+Release+Notes
- In the first blue info box, add the build version of the GA e.g. The latest version is 7.1.0 b4300 released on April 14th, 2010.
- Change the download link, so that the user is directed to the GigaSpaces website latest product version download e.g. [Download GigaSpaces 7.1|GigaSpaces 7.1.X Early Access] becomes [Download GigaSpaces 7.1|http://www.gigaspaces.com/LatestProductVersion].
- Change the following info about what version to use for compiling:
When upgrading any GigaSpaces version (including previous 7.1.X milestones) to version 7.1.X, compile your application code with the latest 7.1.X milestone.
When upgrading any GigaSpaces version (including previous 7.1.X milestones) to version 7.1.X, compile your application code with the 7.1.0 b4300 version.
- Go to the existing What's New in GigaSpaces page of the Early Access version you want to switch to Production status e.g. http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/RN/What's+New+in+GigaSpaces+7.1.X.
- Remove any info about the target date for release e.g.
- Version 7.1 will include becomes Version 7.1 includes.
- GA is expected at the end of Q1 2010 is removed.
- Add any relevant info about the GA release e.g.
Version 7.1 Released!
The first GA release of this branch, 7.0.0 b4300, has been released on April 14, 2010. You can download it here.
- You can read our official release announcement here.
- You may also find it useful to watch the following Webinar, hosted by Nati Shalom, GigaSpaces CTO, and Uri Cohen, product manager, which explains the concepts and details of the elastic data grid capabilities:
- Go to the Solutions and Best Practices home page. http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/SBP/Solutions+and+Best+Practices+Home
- Update the Release Notes and What's New in XAP Quick Links e.g.
[7.0.X Release Notes|RN:GigaSpaces 7.0.X Release Notes]
[What's new in XAP 7.0|RN:What's New in GigaSpaces 7.0.X]
[7.1.X Release Notes|RN:GigaSpaces 7.1.X Release Notes]
[What's new in XAP 7.1.X|RN:What's New in GigaSpaces 7.1.X]
- Go to http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/ALL/Choose+a+GigaSpaces+Version
- Remove the words Early Access from the versions you want to be the Production versions e.g.
[XAP 7.1 Early Access|XAP71:7.1 Documentation Home] - For Java and C++ users
[XAP 7.1|XAP71:XAP 7.1 Documentation Home] - For Java and C++ users
[XAP.NET 7.1 Early Access|XAP71NET:XAP.NET 7.1 Documentation Home] - For Java and C++ users
[XAP.NET 7.1|XAP71NET:XAP.NET 7.1 Documentation Home] - For Java and C++ users
|The next steps will make the latest version documentation live and everyone will view it by default. Before you do that, make sure the new space, particularly its homepage, has all the right content and no embarrassing errors or omissions. WAIT UNTIL THE DAY OF THE GA RELEASE TO MAKE THESE CHANGES!|
- Place the mouse over your name, and click Administration. The Confluence Administration page opens (you have to be a Confluence Administrator to do this).
Becoming a Confluence Administrator
If you are not currently a Confluence Administrator, ask whoever already is, to give you this permission. They can do this by putting the mouse over their name, and clicking Administration. They should then click Manage Users and Show all users. From the user list, they need to select your username, then click Edit groups. In the left hand list, click Confluence-Administrators and Join. This includes you in the list of Confluence Administrators.
- Click Layouts, then click Edit in the Main Layout box. The Edit Site Layouts>Main Layout box opens.
- Copy the entire contents of this box to Notepad++ and save into a new file so that you have the original, and a copy to work on.
Changes are made to the copy in Notepad++, and then pasted into the site layout box. This avoids editing the site layout box directly, which tends to cause errors if left open too long.
- In Notepad++, go to the section labelled NEW GLOBAL NAV.
- Remove the first two lines (one for each space of the current product version) e.g. remove
#if ($spaceKey == "XAP7")<b>#end<a href="$req.contextPath/display/XAP71/" class="version-link">XAP 7</a>#if ($spaceKey == "XAP7")</b>#end |
#if ($spaceKey == "XAP7NET")<b>#end<a href="$req.contextPath/display/XAP71NET/" class="version-link">XAP.NET 7</a>#if ($spaceKey == "XAP7NET")</b>#end |
- This removes the navigation links for the current version (e.g. XAP7.0 and XAP.NET 7.0) at the top of each documentation page, leaving only links to the new product versions (e.g. XAP7.1 and XAP.NET 7.1), the Cloud products, and All Versions.
- Make sure that the navigation links to the new versions do not include the letters EA e.g. change class="version-link">XAP 7.1 EA to class="version-link">XAP 7.1.
- Go to the Confluence Administration Console by clicking on your name > Administration. (You must be a Confluence Administrator to do this. If you are not, see above on how to become one.)
- Click on General Configuration in the nav bar.
- Under Site Configuration, click Edit.
- From the Site Homepage dropdown, select the space of the new version. For example, if the new version is XAP 7.1, and the space key is XAP71, select XAP71 from the dropdown. This way anyone who visits the wiki will go to the home page of the XAP71 space by default.
We generally set the Java space of the latest version, NOT the .NET space, as the default space of the wiki.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
- Send an e-mail to marketing with the following text (inserting the correct version name and space key):
The developers need to provide the download links for the new Product version, and have them placed on the company website.
- Update the default redirection when accessing the dashboard of the wiki.
- Go to the Wiki dashboard page, which is http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/GEN/Wiki+Dashboard.
- Update the redirection macro to the latest release.
- Update the default redirection when accessing a page that does not exist.
When you try to go to a page that does not exist, the Wiki redirects you to the current documentation Home page. This needs to be changed to redirect to the new Home page - e.g. to go to http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/XAP71/7.1+Documentation+Home, instead of http://www.gigaspaces.com/wiki/display/XAP7/7.0+Documentation+Home.
- Log in to the server using ssh.
- Edit the file /opt/j2ee/domains/gigaspaces.com/www/test/webapps/atlassian-confluence/deployments/current/exploded_war/404.vm and change the first two lines to reflect the new default version (you need root permissions for that).